Re: Phimosis and Penile Growth

Written by Roxane at 19 Jan 2000 20:35:41:

As an answer to: Re: Phimosis and Penile Growth written by Dave at 18 Jan 2000 22:24:49:

Dave:
Thank you for your response. It helps a great deal. I can well imagine that growth was not your primary concern when you were growing up with phimosis. I have worried myself, about how this whole situation will affect my son's sexual development and whether the focus on his foreskin by all those well meaning, ignorant doctors has made him feel that there is something wrong with him.
This is why I have chosen to stay clear of doctors and look for advice from those who can tell me first hand how they fared with the problem.
I have heard from 4 men (who all had or have had phimosis) and 1 doctor. All assured me that my son's phimosis would not cause him a problem in respect to
growth.
No one has substantiated this one doctor's claim and yet I continue to worry because I always believed doctors knew best. I have since discovered that most of them are still very uneducated on this subject.
I don't want to be intrusive or get too personal, but when you say, "You experienced an increase in size" after surgery, do you mean a substantial increase or just that the glans increased in size, as I have heard that they do
have a tendency to do after circumcission?
Please forgive me for interrogating you like this. Perhaps you could E-Mail me your answer and we could discuss this with more candour (if you don't mind).
Roxane

>Hi Roxane.
>With regard to your question about penile growth. I suffered from untreated phimosis until I was 26, and have suffered no ill effects as far as growth is concerned and I had adhesions to the head of my penis.
>The skin on the penis is pretty stretchy, and up until I was circumcised this was not one of my fears – although I had many others..
>I have discovered since being cut that I have experienced an increase in size, although that may be from the fact that I had surgery, or that I am now circumcised, rather than from the fact that I once had phimosis.
>Sometimes cleanliness is mentioned as a problem. I had never seen the head of my penis until the day of my op., let alone clean it, so I never see this as too much of a problem – unless there are obvious signs of course.
>Previously it was mentioned that at 10, your sons phimosis is unlikely to go away on its own, I would agree with this, but I am sure that your son will be OK. He is lucky that you are aware and that you will be able to guide him in the years to come.
>I didn’t find the experience of adult circumcision too bad – much more psychologically painful and a bit of a journey for me, so if this is the final outcome, then don’t worry. You have already discovered many other options before reaching this stage.
>Hope this helps.
>Dave.

Answers:

ARC Forum1 Index /Archive
Communication and Contact are always welcome

Male Initiation and the Phimosis Taboos